1. This list is wonderful but its not a source of planning expertise.
Why not start by asking your own planning department in what
circumstances (a) they, or (b) members of the public, may want access
to information about old planning applications or decisions, and of
what age?

2. Its not useful to say that if there is a dispute about planning
consent, the onus is on the homeowner to show it is legal, not on the
authority to show that it was illegal. Often, the work has been done
by a previous owner - the current owner has no records or knowledge.
If a someone else complains and asks the planning department to take
action, how will the matter be settled, in the absence of planning
records?

3. Finally, what is the data protection issue here, particularly as we
don't seem to be discussing putting the archive online? People
submitting planning applications in the past did so in the knowledge
that the application would be held by the planning authority and
probably expected them to be held indefinitely. If necessary, delete
the page with the applicant's name. What then is the DP issue in
holding information showing that a planning application for a
particular address, homeowner's name not recorded, was received and
approved subject to specified conditions in 1983?

Maurice