It's a very grassroots and basic version, with only some Student Association support, but http://becycle.org.uk/
is worth a look. I'm happy to have an off-list conversation about it if anyone is interested more, or they will be at the cycling and ethnographies conference in Lancaster in a couple of weeks time.

Robin

From: Cycling and Society Research Group discussion list [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Thomas Gotschi [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 03 December 2009 20:56
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Bike hire on university campus

this blog may be informative for your purposes: http://bike-sharing.blogspot.com/

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 5:05 AM, Tim Ryley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

To: Cycling-and-Society members

I am trying to leverage some funding from facilities managers here at Loughborough University to encourage more cycling, along one of the following lines:

  1. Improve current facilities for cycling and bike storage
  2. Develop a bike rental system (e.g. for a term) such as Velocampus Leeds system
  3. Develop a technology-based ‘pay-as-you-go’ hire system

The original hope was for (3), following the Paris Velolib system (and many others internationally as well as some UK planned schemes), although the only major UK university case study I am aware of is the failed Bikeabout scheme at Portsmouth Uni in the 1990s.  The Loughborough University campus is unique in being the largest single-site campus in Europe, and so particularly suited to cycling, plus I would like to tap into the strong sports ethos here.  However, the messages I have to overcome for a bike hire system from managers here are: “this scheme would not be secure” i.e. subject to theft / vandalism, and “this scheme is not a viable business proposition”.

  • Does anyone have any examples of a technology-based bike hire scheme on a university (or education-based) campus?
  • Does anyone have any, preferably evidence-based, arguments to counter these messages?

I would also like to leverage some money also for some innovative social sciences based research to develop a scheme from the bottom-up i.e. what type of scheme (if any) students (and other university users) would be interested in, so that can get their buy in.

Kind regards
Tim

Dr Tim Ryley
Senior Lecturer in Transport Studies
Transport Studies Group
Department of Civil and Building Engineering
Loughborough University, Leicestershire LE11 3TU
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1509 223422
Web-page: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/cv/staff/profile/145.html

--