I noted this at bottom of my posting on University bike fleets but thought later that a separate thread might be appropriate.  The new footbridge in Workington is some distance from the direct route crossing point, and the bicycle can provide the ability to cover distances - restoring fairly effectively the journey times previously enjoyed by use of the 2 road bridges to reach shops, schools and workplaces.

There may be some interesting financial models to consider for using the hire fleets, some of which may be in storage for the winter season, and thus costing money rather than earning it.

Dave Holladay