These comments on radical politics, Marx, and the monolithic
generalizations on "religion" are entirely unsophisticated, and I
think unwelcome on an academic listserve.

No serious reader of Marx could deny the importance of Christianity's
metaphysical character in his writings, any more than one could deny
his reliance on Shakespeare. Could one "understand" Marx without a
working knowledge of Shakespeare? Perhaps. But, it would be
preposterous to suggest that Shakespeare would not provide a much
richer reading of Marx -- it certainly would. Without the sophomoric
references to "the existence of God" the same could be said of a
richer reading of when considering the broader Judeo-Christian
influences in Marx. Was this not a crucial element of Benjamin's
project? Religion is not irrelevant.

Nevertheless, it is petty to critique a conference programme over a listserve.

Oliver!

--
Sent from my mobile device

Oliver Christian Belcher
PhD Student
Department of Geography
University of British Columbia
Blog: meanswithoutend.blogspot.com

"The hope that earthly horror does not possess the last word is, to be
sure, a non-scientific wish."  Max Horkheimer

"No one likes armed missionaries." Maximilien Robespierre