Hi Dan (and the rest of CHAT), thanks for the interest.

The language of that message was, as you put it, a turn of phrase, specifically by me, as the Development Committee Chair for SHA, and not an official statement of policy.  However, as was announced in the last SHA newsletter, the Society is proposing a new mission statement for the consideration of our membership, which is as follows:

"The Society for Historical Archaeology [an educational not-for-profit organization] advocates for a global perspective in the study and protection of historical and underwater cultural resources by educating the public and policy makers and providing a valued resource for knowledge exchange, professional development, and the maintenance of high ethical standards."

The focus of the mission statement seems more broad here, and is particularly focused on activism and advocacy, which reflects priorities of many of our members.  It does appear that many such societies are considering their placement and purpose to accommodate new realities, among them the turn to focus on "Modern materials" as the recent CHAT program put it, and also the political and economic realities of archaeological practice which makes public communication important.

Perhaps a topic for discussion at our next CHAT?

John Chenoweth,
UC Berkeley
SHA Development Committee Chair