Hi Stella

I don't think total Al by XRF or strong acid extracts will really tell
you very much about risks from the soil.

You might want to look at methods for agricultural soils and available
aluminium, in particular MAFF RB427; now out of print but in some
libraries

Available aluminium is principally of concern because of its impact on
plants and nitrogen fixation, mainly in particular acidic soils.

For aluminium and human health I would look to work from the water
sector (e.g. via UKWIR)

You can Google both

There is lots on Defra's web site, e.g:
www.defra.gov.uk/environment/quality/land/soil/.../evidence-paper.pdf

Paul

 In message
Andrew Hursthouse <[log in to unmask]> writes

--
** EUGRIS the contaminated land, soil and water portal receives as many as
20,000 visits a week, with the average visitor looking at 4 or 5 pages.  May be

Professor Paul Bardos
r3 Environmental Technology Ltd
Room 120, Dept. Soil Science
The University of Reading
Whiteknights,
PO Box 233
Reading
RG6 6DW
UK

www.r3environmental.co.uk
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel +44 (0)118 378 8164     Fax: +44 (0) 870 1640 633
This message may contain privileged and confidential information.  It may be
read, copied and used only by the addressee.  If you have received it in error,
please contact us immediately and delete the message from your system including
any copies.  Although r3 environmental technology ltd (r3) has used all
reasonable efforts to ensure that this message and any attachments are free
from viruses, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are
virus free.  r3 excludes liability, to the fullest extent permitted by law for
any direct, indirect or consequential loss, damage, costs or expenses in any
way caused by a virus in this message or any attachments.

Thank you.

r3 Environmental Technology Ltd, Reg. No. 3231566 (England), Regd Office 88
Balmore Drive, Reading, RG4 8NN, UK.