I did as advised (recompiling C code with -arch i386) and at least I now get a new error
message when I run analysis:

Error, cannot import core CCPN Python modules:
Maybe your PYTHONPATH environment variable is not set or
does not contain the current CCPN installation directory.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/mp84/Work/ccpnmr/ccpnmr2.1/python/ccpnmr/analysis/AnalysisGui.py", line
71, in <module>
    raise ImportError
ImportError

I started AnalysisGui.py both with the ccpn version as well as the system copy of python,
the result is the same. There is also no improvement when I set PYTHONPATH to the
python2.5 directory that comes with CCPN.
Any more suggesetions?
thanks,
mark