how about this for a general idea:

resolution is related to order in the crystals, more order =
diffraction to higher resolution
the order is determined by crystal contacts, stronger crystal contacts
= more order
more solvent means, on average, less close packing and less crystal
contacts
(of course, there are cases where only a few strong crystal contacts
make for a very highly ordered crystal diffracting to high resolution,
so there are quite a few exceptions of high solvent content being
compatible with high resolution diffraction)

or is this too simplistic?
(and widely known?)

Mark J. van Raaij
Dpto de Bioquímica, Facultad de Farmacia
Universidad de Santiago
15782 Santiago de Compostela
Spain
http://web.usc.es/~vanraaij/