It makes slight sense if the word 'respect' can be correlated with whether the drop is mixed (protein+ppt). i have heard some protein may indeed crystallize if it were not mixed or vice-versa (do not expect it with lysozyme though). it would make sense if diffusion played a role but with few ul drop (the tip of pipette covering the surface of the drop in 96-well), i imagine what would be the real reason/advantage for this argument of mixing vs not mixing drops.

--
Karthik