thanks to all for the replies. the protein of interest is a membrane associated (lipoprotein) but i express this without the signal sequence in the cytoplasmic context. also it is not his-tagged, to address the debate of protein crystallize with or without the tag i presume as one reason. also the protein is stable without the tag. the purification was lengthy having amm.sulfate ppt, ion exchange and size exclusion. also the MW (and pI) was very similar which prolonged this identification but when the fractions are yellow in color, that arouse curiosity. ESI-MS had two charge state envelopes.  on one note i am happy the cell compensated then it enabled overexpression of desired protein to a greater extent that may have be toxic to cell otherwise.--Karthik