Not sure if in any of the 112 posts regarding either the retraction theme or 'was 12 retraction' theme did mention, that after all despite good or as good as possible refinement of the structure, the goal is still to describe as accurately as possible the biological system using crystallography as a tool.

If you can't confirm your structure by solid biochemical or biophysical methods what conclusions should you draw ?
Sure faking data is not the default and looking at the ratio of suspected faked structures / deposited structures I do believe we are doing much better than other researchers e.g. in medical science.

I agree that validation tools are very helpful and everybody should use them prior to deposition of your structure to ensure good standards and if you are not happy with the result of those validation tools e.g. Procheck, Molprobity well then change something - re-refine your structure and fix it prior to deposition.

Regarding paper submissions, I think it would be a good idea to include e.g. the Molprobity Ramachandran plot & the summary attached to the cover letter when submitting - additional to the table 1 of course. Bill Scott once mentioned that he provides a Pymol scene file with PDB coordinates & electron density map to reviewers, if one could ensure that the coordinates can not be extracted from this file, I would be willing to do the same, but it's to easy to extract the coordinates and save them for 'other purposes'.

My 2.5 cents,

Jürgen