11-Dec-2009   11:30 Rehovot
Dear All,

I Agree fully with Tommi, and feel, in parallel, we in the MX community must think of better tools for referees to review papers and insist that these be followed. For example we should insist on getting BOTH the coords and structure factors for papers submitted, so it would be possible to do test on the structures which appear to have 'question marks'. Without this data, it is very difficult to do a serious job in refereeing.

Also, any manuscript, submitted to any journal, where BOTH the structure factors and coords are not submitted to the PDB should be rejected immediately without further review. This should be the policy of the reviewer, independent of any particular policy of the journals.

It might be worthwhile for the MX community to also consider writing a strong letter to the journals in which published the papers for which the structures have now been retracted, to state just how serious this matter is and that the journals should also take much more responsibility of finding better ways to have these papers and structures reviewed.

Joel
Prof. Joel L. Sussman
Director, Israel Structural Proteomics Center
Dept. of Structural Biology
Weizmann Institute of Science
Rehovot 76100 ISRAEL

Tel: +972 8-934 4531