Stuart,

Are you logged-in as root or are you working in a root shell ( using su or sudo)?  Depending on your security settings X-windows may not permit a program that is run from a root shell to access the display, which belongs to the user logged-in through X-windows.

I get around the administrator access issue by installing CCP4, and all other non-OS software, with non-root ownership, a non-root administrator account, which shares the environment with all other users.  For one thing, I do not want to source the multitude of /etc/csh.cshrc and .bashrc files as root.  I am sure that others have different, and probably more elegant, solutions to this problem.

PS. It also seems that the TCL/TK environment is not set in the root shell you are using.

Good luck,
Mark