Fred V wrote:

>I personally like to visualise the electron density as well,
>however, I do think that a non-crystallographer will go through the
>trouble of downloading the structure factors, installing ccp4/coot
>etc.
>
>Fred.

They shouldn't have to go through some of that trouble.  Maps should
be deposited.

Even if you have good crystallography knowledge can you exactly
reproduce the map the authors were looking at?  Software algorithms
change over the years... the software version the authors used might
not even be compilable on modern systems... some authors may not
fully specify all software settings required to get the same map
(perhaps they used NCS but you have to re-determine the NCS
yourself)... etc.

--
Eric Bennett, [log in to unmask]