And if you liked SPASM, you'll love the SPASM web-server that Mark Harris has
made:

            http://eds.bmc.uu.se/eds/spana.php?spasm

The decapeptide search is similar to the quest for left-handed helices
described in the original publication.

Recipe:

- from the start page, upload a small PDB file that only contains your
decapeptide

- on the parameters page, use:
   - large database to search in
   - screen on CA atoms only (you're only interested in the backbone
conformation, not the sequence or sidechains)
   - finer screening on backbone atoms only
   - you can leave the other parameters as they are by default (if you expect
many hits, which slows everything down, you can reduce the RMSD cut-off
initially, e.g. to 0.5 A)

- start the search

- this will typically take 1-5 minutes

- the hits (if any) are presented on the results page and from there you can
quickly explore them, download them or visualise any or all of them with Jmol

--Gerard

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, MARTYN SYMMONS wrote:

> I think SPASM by Gerard Kleywegt is a great tool for this sort of thing - you can set the similarity matrix threshold to make it more or less sequence independent (it still calculates the sequence match which is good for looking for key residues in the motif like structurally required GLYs). You can also restrict it to just CA positions. And you can set the thresholds for the search to narrow down on the basis of rmsd.
>
> J Mol Biol. 1999 Jan 29;285(4):1887-97.
> Recognition of spatial motifs in protein structures.
> Kleywegt GJ.
>
> You can download the program and a search library - currently july 2008 pdb I think (culled to 99% seq ident. is the best one). But could be something more recent available?
>
> Good luck
> Martyn
>
> Martyn Symmons - Cambridge

Best wishes,

--Gerard

                            Gerard J.  Kleywegt
    Dept. of Cell & Molecular Biology  University of Uppsala
                    Biomedical Centre  Box 596
                    SE-751 24 Uppsala  SWEDEN

     http://xray.bmc.uu.se/gerard/  mailto:[log in to unmask]
    The opinions in this message are fictional.  Any similarity
    to actual opinions, living or dead, is purely coincidental.