In my experience, it is a bit of both.  You want to go 'in depth' in discussions around the data.  OTOH, the panel itself will leave unsatisfied if you havent presented a comprehensive overview of the 'story' itself.  This is the nature of narrative and audience.  This also helps in allowing the panel to see connections with earlier data, how specific metaphors develop throughout the story and how the interviewee created the gestalt of their life story.

You can also use micro-analysis of specific sections of data, but again, these are most useful when they can be related to the gestalt of the whole.  It is a kind of shuttling back and forth from the specific to the more general, each informing the other.

Cheers,
kip

Dr Kip Jones

Reader in Qualitative Research

Centre for Qualitative Research

Leader, Performative Social Science Group

School of Health & Social Care and The Media School

Bournemouth University

Bournemouth, UK

http://tinyurl.com/ydkjuqj

Changing the way we view social science one download at a time.