Does anybody know the origin of the Johnny Cake? It is a simple hard bread made of corn meal, salt and water and is remarked on by Richard Hakluyt in his writings on John Hawkyns. The point is that it became a European staple for mariners because of its tenacity, just soak it and you can sort of eat it if you had strong teeth.

Johnny Cake is still made throughout the Caribbean with different names. I think the original Sea Biscuit was made without the cornmeal, just flour. But I would like to know the earliest time it has been known.

Thanks,
H.E. Ross