Thank you to Pat Cumper for her absorbing and emotionally charged five-part drama serial All My Trials in BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour: Writing the Century. It was broadcast every weekday from 7-11 December and included wonderful performances from cast members Janice Acquah (as Amy Barbour-James), Ellen Thomas and Mona Hammond. Amy's life in London in the mid-1960s, and her relationship with her sister, Muriel, was dramatised by Pat Cumper from documents at the Black Cultural Archives,

I would also like to mention the brief but memorable appearance of the Jamaican actress LEONIE FORBES as Hortense's mother Miss Jewel in BBC TV's Small Island. In 1961 Leonie received a two-year scholarship to London's Royal Academy of Dramatic Art and made early television appearances for the BBC in A World Inside (1962), by the Black writer John Hearne, co-starring Earl Cameron and Nadia Cattouse, and Rainbow City (1967), with Errol John. Though based in Jamaica since the 1960s, Leonie's long and distinguished acting career has included occasional visits to the London stage for such productions as James Baldwin's The Amen Corner (1986), and as Miss Prism in Talawa's The Importance of Being Earnest (1989).

Stephen Bourne