I’ve operated for years under a number of equally truthful (or otherwise) aliases, depending on the circumstances:  archivist, records manager, company director, management consultant, retired bank official and now, the least helpful of all, OAP (while not actually drawing the pension).  It’s questionable as to which is delivers the most benefits, though forming a limited company got round most of the problems Chris Pickford faced;  except when applying for a mortgage, when there seemed to be no way round the self-employed tag.

However, we should perhaps look closer to home.  Even while chairing the Society of Archivists, I couldn’t get round the determination to categorise me either as an archivist or as a records manager.  It isn’t possible to be both, as I have been for the almost 35 years I’ve worked in the UK.  Perhaps we should be looking, at least at that level, for something more inclusive rather than an enforced separation.

Peter Emmerson
Director
Emmerson Consulting Limited
Poplar House
5 School Street
Witton-Le-Wear
County Durham  DL14 0AS
Office          01388 488865
Mobile         07516 744795

Emmerson Consulting Limited is registered in England No. 3607347.
Registered Office: 140 Coniscliffe Road, Darlington, County Durham, DL3 7RT