sorry for cross-posting,

Since many of you may have read and wondered about the Swiss intiative
on Minarets this weekend let me opportunistically point to a book that
I recently co-edited which contains an analysis of the conflict by
myself. It also contains an analysis of German mosques and prayer
rooms and many other cases of travelling building types and forms and
analysis.

best
Michael

Re-shaping Cities
How Global Mobility Transforms Architecture and Urban Form
Michael Guggenheim and Ola Söderström

This original collection examines how architectural ideas, social
models and building forms circulate round the world and become
mediated and adapted to local conditions. The book shows how types
such as skyscrapers, mosques or living history museums are imported,
adapted and contested in different societies and how urban landscapes
are reshaped by the global circulation of models drawn from elsewhere.
Written by scholars from different disciplinary backgrounds –
architecture, anthropology, geography, linguistics, science studies
and sociology – the book draws its inspiration from a series of
different approaches and offers both original theoretical reflection
and carefully crafted case-studies.

December 2009 |256 pages | Hardback: 978-0-415-49290-4 £85.00|
Paperback 978-0-415-49291-1 £29.99

For more information including a table of contents, or to order your
copy, please visit www.routledge.com/9780415492911.

Dr. Michael Guggenheim
Ethnologisches Seminar der Universität Zürich

Andreasstr. 15
CH-8050 Zürich

Tel: ++ 41 - 44 - 635 22 23

http://www.migug.net