Michael Oliver in The Politics of Disablement (1990)  suggests, "... the term 'disabled people' is used in preference to 'people with disabilities'. It is sometimes argued, often by able-bodied professionals and some disabled people , that 'people with disabilities' is the preferred term , for it asserts the value of the person first and the disability then becomes merely an appendage. This liberal and humanist view flies in the face of reality as it is experienced by disable people themselves who argue that far from being an appendage, disability is an essential part of the self. In this view it is nonsensical to talk about the person and the disability separately and consequently disabled people are demanding acceptance as they are, as disabled people.'
Thus from this point of view it is not just a matter of preference or changing trends but rather of political standpoint.

John H Ellwood
Moray College
Moray Street
ELGIN
IV30 1JJ
01343.576405

Think before you print. Save energy and paper

>>> Chris Bradshaw <[log in to unmask]> 11/12/2009 12:04 >>>
Just a quick question that I have been asked by a senior colleage!  Can anyone tell me when the phrase "people with disabilities" became outdated and was replaced by "disable people" please?

I seem to recall it was at least 3 years ago but I have been asked to cite a reference!

Chris

Chris Bradshaw
Equality and Diversity Coordinator
University of the West of Scotland
Room A107
High Street
Paisley
PA1 2BE
0141 848 3580

University of the West of Scotland aims to have a transformational influence on the economic, social and cultural development of the West of Scotland and beyond by providing relevant, high quality, inclusive higher education and innovative and useful research.

Visit www.uws.ac.uk for more details

University of the West of Scotland is a registered Scottish charity. Charity number SC002520.

Legal disclaimer

The information transmitted is the property of the University of the West of Scotland and is intended only for the person or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Statements and opinions expressed in this e-mail may not represent those of the company.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination and other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer.