From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Roy Fisher
Sent: 23 December 2009 14:48
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Oral copper supplements

Dear All,

We have had a recent case of severe copper deficiency(0.9 umol/L) presenting in a 51 year old man with neurological and haematological abnormalities which were associated with a high serum zinc level.  The cause was due to excess use of polygrip false teeth fixant, containing zinc!  The problem has been described before. The neurologist wants to start the patient on oral copper replacement but none are listed in the BNF. At present the patient has a preparation from a health food shop and now has a non-zinc fixant. Is there a suitable oral supplement around in the UK? I have seen copper gluconate and copper chloride mentioned in papers from the US.
Many thanks

Seasons Greetings

Roy

Roy Fisher
Consultant Biochemist
Royal Cornwall Hospital
Tel 01872 252546
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The information in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential and is intended for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). It must not be disclosed to any other person without our authority. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient or are aware that this e-mail has been sent to you in error, you are not authorised to and must not disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message or any part of it. We sweep all outgoing messages for the presence of computer viruses. However, we cannot accept any responsibility for any loss or damage to your systems due to viruses or malicious code not detected. The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the organisations within the Cornwall & Isles of Scilly Health Community. This email may be disclosed under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 or the Environmental Information Regulations 2004. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/