Alison, I'm interested in the reason for your question.  We are about to evaluate the Nova CCX for use in our cancer center to check renal function, calcium, etc. prior to chemo treatments.  Magnesium is important in this patient population.  I know that the Nova iMg electrode is "poisoned" by thiocyanate in smokers' blood giving negative interference which is permanent and cumulative.  Nova claims to have fixed it and it is better than it used to be, but it is still clinically significant (Abudu N, Miller JJ, Elin RJ. The effect of thiocyanate on the Nova ion-selective electrode for magnesium. J Clin Ligand Assay 2006;29(4):182-4).  Our study of the affect of thiocyanate used serum samples.  For use in our cancer center, we would use whole blood samples.  I'm hoping the affect is less in whole blood, otherwise we will send for total Mg in the main lab.

>>> "Czarnota, Alison" <[log in to unmask]> 12/17/2009 9:24 AM >>>
Dear mailbase

is anyone aware of any POCT ionised magnesium? We currently have NOVA CCX that performs ionised magnesium but I would be interested in any alternatives.

Many thanks

Alison

POCT Coordinator
Pathology Dept
Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust
C363

*************************************************************************** This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any reading, printing, storage, disclosure, copying or any other action taken in respect of this e-mail is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by using the reply function and then permanently delete what you have received. Content of emails received by this Trust will be subject to disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, subject to the specified exemptions, including the Data Protection Act 1998 and Caldicott Guardian principles. This footnote also confirms that, unless otherwise stated, this email message has been swept by Sophos Anti-virus for the presence of computer viruses. ** Please consider the environment before printing this email. ** ***************************************************************************------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/