From: stephen buckley <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 10:17
Subject: Llanelian

Maddy's Cistercian Way website has some good photos and a brief
explanation at

http://cistercian-way.newport.ac.uk/place.asp?PlaceID=248

I've been trying to pinpoint the well on Streetmap, etc. The stream
running below Cefn-y-ffynnon, the location of the well, is named
Nant-y-ffynnon (surprise, surprise), but the spring from which it flows
is quite a distance back. Higher up, it's labelled Nant Meifod. There
are clearly a number of springs to the south of Llanelian, near the top
of the hillside. There's a boggy patch marked on the stream quite near
the farmhouse of Cefn-y-ffynnon, but the stream, originating elsewhere,
passes through it.

It tends to bother me when there's no obvious spring to attach a
saint's well dedication to. Distance isn't a problem - at
Stow-on-the-Wold, St Edward's Well is several hundred yards south of
the village (church dedicated to St Edward, which has to be Edward the
Martyr originally, though now Ed Conf; manor held by Evesham Abbey in
the medieval period). Shaft wells are pretty unlikely to have any
pre-Christian origin, although pre-Christian customs can be transferred
to them.

I'm also bothered (as I'm not likely to get access to the thesis,
unfortunately) by the idea that a 'cursing' function might have
persisted through the medieval period in a well presided over by the
church. Do we know the form of the shrine, or location?

I found a piece by S[abine] Baring-Gould (1834-1924) on the Net, called
'The White Flag' (1904), referring to the Llanelian well. It's
fictional; an on-line biog shows that he was interested in folklore,
including ghost stories, as well as hagiography. His synthetic approach
to versions of saints' legends make it difficult to disentangle the
historical development of certain legends, and I wonder to what extent
he's muddied the waters (!) in this case. Or maybe he just made use of
what was already in print.

The well shrine at Holywell, just along the N Wales coast from
Llanelian, certainly continued in use by recusants during 17th C
(Antonia Fraser's 'Gunpowder Plot' describes a pilgrimage to Holywell
by the plotters in mid 1605).

Christine B

=
  53.276921,-3.70965653.276921,-3.709656