You may be interested in the following event, or passing it on to a colleague

Silver Bullet or Brick Bat? - Computer Assisted Assessment in English Studies

Venue: Loughborough University
Date:  24 Mar 10
Cost:  No charge, but we reserve the right to charge a £15:00 non-attendance fee.
Event Description:
Computer Assisted Assessment in English Studies is being organised by the English Subject Centre in association with the Department of English and Drama at the University of Loughborough.

Assessment in English Studies has traditionally been via written exams and course-work, both dominated by the essay. Exams have come under fire in recent years for disadvantaging students in various ways whilst course-work, especially in the Google-era, has been accused of facilitating plagiarism. The purpose of this one day event is to consider how we might develop and vary assessment in English, specifically how we might utilize increasingly sophisticated online assessment packages.

We hope the event will be an opportunity to explore areas such as:

    * The range of assessment methods available in Computer Assisted Assessment (CAA)
    * Examples of how CAA is being used
    * What constitutes good practice in CAA
    * The pros and cons of objective knowledge testing in English studies
    * The level to which CAA should be automated
    * Whether multiple-choice is better than discursive prose and if not why not
    * Web-based peer assessment, specifically how far it increases equity of assessment and engages student ownership of their learning
    * How far CAA scores should be comparable to essay scores

If you are interested in getting involved please contact Brett Lucas at the English Subject Centre or Joan Fitzpatrick at Loughborough University providing us with a short description of your proposed presentation.
Programme Enquiries :
Brett Lucas or Joan Fitzpatrick

To register and for more information: http://www.english.heacademy.ac.uk/explore/events/event_detail.php?event_index=268