At 16:14 +0000 4/11/09, K.S.Ball wrote:
>I'm trying to compile a list of surveillance films for the SSN
>website (among other things).

During the last week, I've done a couple of presentations on
'Surveillance in Speculative Fiction', leveraging off our earlier
discussions on this list.  (Thanks to everyone who contributed!).
URLs below.

Films mentioned include (in addition to several already notified):
-   the French film 'Caché' (2005, released to English markets as 'Hidden')
-   La mort en direct / Death Watch (1980) - a film adaptation of
     The Continuous Katherine Mortenhoe (UK title), aka
     The Unsleeping Eye (US title), D.G. Compton, 1973
-   Minority Report, 2002

Delegates mentioned several earlier films that invoked the notion of
iris and/or retina scanning - Thunderball, The Andromeda Strain,
Cyborg, and maybe Demolition Man

Some others:
-   Gattaca (1997)
-   Enemy of the State (1998)
-   1984
-   Rear Window
-   Surveillance (2008)

[I'm assuming none of us have to *recommend* them, just list them  (:-)} ]

Surveillance in Speculative Fiction
http://www.rogerclarke.com/DV/SSF-0910.html

Slide-set (4.3MB!!) at http://www.rogerclarke.com/DV/SSF-0910.ppt

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916