masking for PET group analyses

Hi,

I am running group analyses on PET data.  Im finding that when I threshold at an uncorrected p-value of .0005, I get nice activations in several brain regions.  However, absolutely nothing survives FDR or family-wise error correction (both set at .05, corrected).  I believe the trouble lies with the fact that Im not masking my images properly.  I came to this conclusion by masking the images first in a different program and then bringing the data back into SPM.  At this point, because the data are already masked, I request no further masking in SPM.  After doing all this, I do get significant activity at p < .05, corrected.

I have tried several different masking procedures (an explicit mask using a structural T1 template, a threshold mask with a value of .80 of the mean) but nothing seems to work.  Any ideas what Im doing wrong?  Is there an matlab script I might be able to look at?

Preprocessing steps:

1.  Convert 40s summed image into one nifti file; two such files for each injection/condition for each subject. 30 subjects.

2.  Warp to PET template

3.  Smooth with 12mm filter

4.  Paired t-test

Thanks for your help.