Stephen and Volkmar,

On a Linux system, I also get the duplicate application tag messages as
below when testing spm8 in my home directory if I use the "addpath ~/spm8"
command to specify the directory location.  For me, the tag messages are
from the matlabbatch/cfg_util.m script in local_initapps when using a ~ path.

With /home a link to /data/home, my directory can be referenced as either of
these:
    /home/user
    /data/home/user

These MATLAB statements give the tag messages:
    addpath ~/spm8
    which spm
             /home/user/spm8/spm.m
    spm fmri