Dear SPMers,

I have problems to include paramatric modulations into my multiple condition
mat-files (SPM5).

I adapted an existing matlab routine to transfer event parameters from Excel
files, and this worked fine for simple event-related designs (with cell
arrays for names, onsets, durations only). Now I tried to add the struct
array for parametric modulations (as suggested in the SPM5 help), and save
it to the multiple conditions mat-file.

    pmod = struct('name',{''},'param',{},'poly',{});

    pmod(1).name{1} = cellstr('modulation_EventClass1');

    pmod(1).param{1} = xlsread(filename, 'Sheetname', 'B3:B147');

    pmod(1).poly{1} = 1;

    try
	uisave({'names','onsets','durations','pmod'}, 'SPM_example' );
   catch
         errordlg('Problems occured. Please, check write permission etc...');
    end

The content (see the attached example file) looks sensible to me. Moreover,
if I load the mat-file into workspace before creating my GUI batch, I can
insert the parametric modulation values for single conditions manually, e.g.
 by calling up pmod(1).param{1}. But if I use this mat-file in the multiple
conditions menu and run the batch, SPM stops and asks me if I want to
include parametric modulators, and to insert them manually.

Obviously, the array structure of my pmod struct array is not compatible
with what SPM is waiting for. Unfortunately, I couldn't find examples for
multiple conditions files which include parametric modulations, so I
couldn't figure out where my script/ file structure is wrong. Therefore, I
would be very grateful if someone could send me an example for a correct
multiple conditions file which includes parametric modulations.

Or can someone already recognize at first glance where my script is faulty?
I am sure that the reason is trivial, but since my Matlab experiences are
quite poor, I would be grateful for helpful suggestions....

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Marcel

Dipl.-Psych. Marcel Daamen