Dear Martin,

What you did won't work because the elements in trialdef correspond to
event types and not to single events. It's not possible to use
spm_eeg_definetrial to assign two different trial labels in this
situation because there is only one event type in the file. What you
should do is either epoch first and reassign condition labels later as
shown in the manual (look a little bit further down) or you can do
something like:

----

labels = textread('condition_labels.txt', '%s');

D = spm_eeg_load('Mdspm8_faces_run1.mat');

S = [];
S.dataset = fullfile(D.path, D.fname);
S.pretrig = 400;
S.posttrig = 600;
S.trialdef(1).conditionlabel = 'whatever';
S.trialdef(1).eventtype      = 'STATUS';
S.trialdef(1).eventvalue     = 1;
S.reviewtrials = false;
S.save = false;
trl = spm_eeg_definetrial(S);