Dear Baerbel

You could manipulate the mask spm is using for estimating the AR(1)
process around line 796 in spm_spm the j vector simply contains the
indices of voxels to be included in the mask. I persume that these
indices are the same as the ones you would get using [Y,XYZ] =
spm_read_vols(V,mask);

You may also want to have a look at the paper below  concerning the
relation between AR(1) and physiological noise modelling.
Unfortunately correction for pulse artefacts is not quite as simple as
just resampling the pulse data at TR.

Hope this helps

Torben

Torben Ellegaard Lund
Assistant Professor, PhD
The Danish National Research Foundation's Center of Functionally
Integrative Neuroscience (CFIN)
Aarhus University
Aarhus University Hospital
Building 10G, 5th floor, room 31
Noerrebrogade 44
8000 Aarhus C
Denmark
Phone: +4589494380
Fax: +4589494400
http://www.cfin.au.dk

Lund et al. Non-white noise in fMRI: does modelling have an impact?.
NeuroImage (2006) vol. 29 (1) pp. 54-66