Dear colleagues

It is with great pleasure that I can announce the 2009/10 Educational Research Seminar Series, hosted by Educational and Staff Development at Queen Mary, University of London.

We have put together a mix of internal and external presenters, with a wide range of topics which I hope will be of interest to you.

The first seminar takes place on Monday 30th November, and will be presented by Dr Caroline Walker and Dr Graham Thomas from ESD on the QMUL Graduate Attributes project.

Queen Mary has developed a statement of graduate attributes that makes explicit the 'behaviours, values, attributes, skills and knowledge' expected of a Queen Mary graduate. The purpose of the statement is to support the review and enhancement of curricula. This is timely given the current focus on the 'employability' of university graduates by both government and business. Presented by Dr Graham Thomas and Dr Caroline Walker, this seminar will present findings from research undertaken during the Graduate Attributes consultation process. Focusing upon the institutional context for the development of a Graduate Attributes Framework, the seminar will explore the distinctiveness of Graduate Attributes from previous 'skills based' initiatives, and the key lessons arising from the consultation process. The session will be of particular interest to those staff involved in curriculum design.

As with all the seminars, this takes place at 3pm in Room 602 on the sixth floor of the G. O. Jones Building (formerly known as the Physics Building) on the Mile End campus of the College.

As spaces are limited, I would be grateful if you could email me to let me know if you wish to come along to this seminar.

More details of each seminar will be released around a month before they take place, but the list of dates, presenters and topics is attached to this message.

For details of how to get to QMUL, please click across to http://www.qmul.ac.uk/about/campus/mileend/index.html

With best wishes

Matthew

Dr Matthew J. Williamson