Hi Rakesh and Alison,

This has immediately opened up an issue in essay question writing which, as a one-time historian, I feel is often misunderstood by those outside the humanities and social sciences.  I know which, of the two questions Rakesh sent in, I would rather set or answer for an exam on post war Britain.  It would be the first one with the racist undertone.  That’s the point.  Students then have the open invitation to argue with the assumptions contained within the question.  It sets them up to get a good grade.  The second question is more likely to encourage the rather patronizing listing of contributions whereas the first clearly invites a robust argument.

To paraphrase work by Biggs and others on essay assessment: a third class answer lists what they know about the topic; a lower second answer lists what the experts say about the question; an upper second answer provides an argued, personal response to the question; and a first class answer attacks the question.  So it could be argued that the art of setting a good essay question is to allow all these responses but to encourage the higher level ones.  We are not setting clear, simple questions which encourage students to tell us what they know – we are setting awkward questions to get them thinking, challenging and standing up for who they are.

So here’s my starter for ten:

‘A good essay question is intentionally flawed – discuss.’

cheers

John

Dr John Peters

Academic Development and Practice Unit