From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of BLAND TOMKINSON
Sent: 23 November 2009 09:06
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Essay and exam questions

Dear Alison

This is a dangerous road to tread.  Some years ago I was involved in producing snapshots of four 'poor' teaching styles (many SEDA members have probably seen the video): on one occasion I was showing these to Mathematicians and had to prevent the Head of Department from walking out because the scenarios were 'ridiculous'.  However, when he saw the fourth exemplar of poor practice he thought that this was showing how it should be done!  Whislt I still remain hesitant about trying to portray the 'perfect' lecture - it depends on so many contextual variables - that one experience taught me caution in using examples of 'bad' practice!

Sincerely

Bland