There was I contemplating my thoughts about this when Mr Fresco comes up with a well-thought-out response! I agree with what Marc said.

You can indeed build a pretty fair EDRM system from the likes of Windows Explorer; I have seen it done more than once, with good results. Excellent results when you consider how much the tool costs (i.e. free, assuming everyone already has Windows. And if you go to the likes of Linux and Unix then there are even better built-in tools.)

Snags arise, as Marc said, when you come to use it for real, across more than a dozen or so users. The built-in tools of a good commercial EDRM system start to get more and more essential once you cross certain thresholds in terms of size of repository and number of users. While you could make it work for larger user groups, you'd spend so long trying to maintain it as to make the low cost of the original software an irrelevance. And that's before you consider the lack of features that are built into many systems that are designed to make life easier for the end users.

Having said that, my experience tells me that the success or failure of any EDRM implementation is much more a function of how well it is implemented within the organisation; a well-planned implementation of a less-functional system into an organisation with well-trained, RM-aware staff and good working practices will always be much more successful than throwing the best technology at an organisation that isn't ready for it and has no interest in using it well.

Start with the business and the people, not the technology.

Oli.