I wonder what people think of the following thoughts:

An EDRM system is not a complex piece of software. It is in fact very
similar to Windows Explorer or any other file management system with the
addition of enhanced security and retention capabilities. None of this is
technically difficult and should be a lot cheaper than it currently seems to
be. Such systems will inevitably become much cheaper as usage increases.

Where the real complexity occurs is in the automation file structure
creation (and/or application of metadata) and in the interface between the
systems creating the documents and the EDRMS itself. By these systems I mean
email software, CRM systems, web forms, scanners, etc

I would assume that the basic EDRM being technically fairly straightforward,
the greatest ongoing costs will be in the integration of these other systems
with it. Therefore when choosing an EDRM, one of the most important aspects
will be the ease of integration with other pre-existing or proposed
packages.

For example, we seem to be going down a route where our file structure will
be based on UPRN (Universal Property Reference Number). It seems critical to
me that the EDRMS should therefore be chosen primarily for its ability to
integrate with the software which creates and indexes these UPRN's. By doing
this there is no need to recreate the file structure as it is already held
indexed and "de-duped" within the Property Gazetteer Module of the System
creating the UPRN's.

Does this seem to make sense to you? Does anyone have any comments about
things I might be missing?

Thanks,

Martin Anderson