Sonnet: Twilight in Turkey

Hey, is that thing running? Yeah. Turn it off. Okay, it's off now.
Okay, where was I? You were about to say something about influence.
Oh, yes. All right then. I remember once taking this hovercraft
from Hong Kong to Macao. You know, just going over there to spend

a few hours at the tables. The hovercraft had the feel of an airplane
taxiing along a long, very long, runway but never lifting off. Many
writers were aboard. I don't know why. Near the far rail the poet
John Ashbery was deeply in conversation with Gertrude Stein,

who, for some reason or other, was seated in a wheelchair that had
been pushed aboard by Alice B. Toklas, her constant companion.
Basket had been unleashed and ran freely around the deck making
a pest of himself. Can we talk about music? Not now. Not ever,

in fact. But isn't that Harold Bloom sitting over there, pondering
influence and all its imponderables? No, I think it's Stuart Davis.

Hal

Halvard Johnson
http://sites.google.com/site/halvardjohnson/Home
http://entropyandme.blogspot.com