folks,

i just received a link to several lectures last week by george soros: www.ft.com/soroslectures. in the lectures on reflexivity he details what it means to cope with truly overwhelming complexity. reserve an hour for listening. don't be put off by his focus on economic issues, which should interest everyone anyhow.   national decision makers do have a design problem to find economic measures that could stabilize a global economy.

klaus

-----Original Message-----
From: PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in Design [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Terence Love
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2009 6:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: PhD in Design for Social Wellbeing

Dear Eden,

It's probably important to be aware of the huge amount of disastrous design
activity in the development arena.

Most of this has been undertaken by well-meaning designers not realizing
their primary focus  was to make money,  increase their status or make
themselves feel good at the expense of others - always difficult issues when
coming from a privileged society and working with the less privileged.

There is a substantial literature 60s to 90s. A starting reference point for
thinking some concepts  is Illich (especially Tools for Conviviality,
Deschooling Society, Medical Nemesis, Energy and Equity). "Greening of
Africa" by Harrison also is useful as are Friere's analyses.

Best wishes and good luck,
Terry