Mark

...I'd therefore like to offer up the potentially controversial position that PhD's
that include practice as a research method should, preferably, be supervised
by academics that have considerable experience as practitioners: plus a PhD
of course!...

Are you saying that there are examples - in your experience - of non practitioners supervising? I find this quite incredible - theory is is what theory doesn't as me old Yorkshire mum used to say. I can understand supervision from someone without a PhD - but only in a secondary role.

Robin

PR Hodge MA, BA (Hons), PG Dip (Media), FAETC, MIDI
Fellow of the Royal Society
Faculty Head of Collaborative Courses
Programme Director Master of Design and Communication

TEL: ext 75572

Foyle Arts
University of Ulster at Magee
L/derry