Dear all

This subject has come up frequently over the last few years and features
regularly in the archives.    This is not to take anything away from those
asking the question, it's just that they haven't had a very satisfactory
answer yet.

Answers have generally fallen into two categories:

1)      A reference to an RCN document from the late 1980s/early 90s, which
gave some advice on the level of OH resource that various types of
industries should have.

2)      Advice that all such resource requirements should be based on risk
assessment.

The latter was, and still is, the right path to follow, however risk
assessment needs good information to underpin it, which appears to be
disjointed on this issue and subject to a wide variety of opinions.  There
is a huge amount of skill, experience and knowledge on this list but if we
all risk assessed the same reasonably sized business's OH requirements, I
bet there would be a huge variation in the result.  For example, the
difference between one person thinking an audiometric test should take 15
minutes and another thinking it should take 10, 20 or even 30 minutes is a
big difference in resource if you are talking about an audiometry programme
for all but the smallest of businesses.  And we are meant to know what we're
talking about!

Confusing the issue even more is the nature of modern day OH.   The
provider/outsourced market place is now bigger than ever before.  We have
on-site, off-site, telephone case management services, absence management
services, visiting consultancy, and a myriad of other models of service
provision. Any OH Adviser being asked to assess the needs of their
particular business and provide a model of cost effective delivery faces a
daunting task.

The above text is based on an answer I gave in response to this question in
July 2005.  The rest of that answer was a proposal to send out a
questionnaire asking about type of business, number of employees, number of
OHAs and OHPs, types of services, etc  with the intention of identifying
some norms and averages for various sectors that might inform better risk
assessment.  I then proposed to post the anonymised results back on the
list.  In order to start working on it I requested some up front commitment
from 20 people but only  received about 10 emails so didn't proceed.

I am happy to give it another go.  As a provider myself, I am fully aware
that this could be valuable information.  So I am therefore prepared to
share it, firstly  on the basis of a benchmarking club. If you sign up and
complete the questionnaire, you receive the anonymised results.   The more
who sign up, the more meaningful the results should be.  Secondly, for those
who are prepared to wait a bit longer, I am willing to present the findings
at the next RCN OH Conference.  As I am not a natural born researcher, any
assistance from someone who is would be appreciated.

Regards

Lindsey

Lindsey Hall

Independent Occupational Health Adviser

Split Dimension Ltd

07771 596111

Phone/Fax 01454 852715

www.splitdimension.co.uk

This electronic transmission is strictly confidential and intended solely
for the addressee. If you are not the named  addressee or think you may not
be the  intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy,
print or rely on the contents of this transmission and should destroy it
immediately. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
me as soon as possible.

Please note that Split Dimension does not accept any responsibility for
viruses and it is your responsibility to protect your computer systems
against any possible viruses contained in this transmission and/or
attachments.

Split Dimension Ltd. Registered in England and Wales.  No 5725582.

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:

OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH NURSING EDUCATION
http://www.aohne.org.uk