Hi Kathy et all -

And, as such,  scripting our future!

I don't intend this to be quite as glib as it may sound.  Point in
fact, I teach this interdependence or positing of various
representations,  visualizations and subsequent materialization of our
future(s).  My references are primarily cinematic.  I would love to
hear of any visual art projects which may have made any such
contributions -

Ciao,

Chris

On Nov 16, 2009, at 2:59 PM, Kathy Cleland wrote:

> Hi Nina and Melinda and list,
>
> Re Melinda’s question: "does work that is scientifically rigorous
> always
> make the best art? And Nina’s comment about the ‘storytelling’ role of
> artists...
>
> As a curator what draws me to the work of new media artists is the
> powerful
> way art can aesthetically, emotionally, and intellectually explore
> issues
> relating to science and technology. It was while I was writing a
> Masters
> thesis on cyberpunk science fiction in the early 90’s that I first
> became
> interested in the work of artists working with new technologies and
> particularly in the way that art could creatively explore and embody
> the
> aesthetic, social and ethical dimensions of new technologies and
> give us a
> ‘feel’ for the experience of new and emerging technologies.
>
> In ‘A Cyborg Manifesto’, Donna Haraway describes science fiction
> writers as
> “storytellers exploring what it means to be embodied in high-tech
> worlds.”
>
> For me this is clearly a key role of artists, particularly those
> working
> with new technologies.
>
> Art (like literature and film) doesn’t only intellectually and
> critically
> explore new technologies, it does this by giving audiences an
> imaginatively
> compelling experience of what our high-tech near future scenarios
> might look
> and feel like.
>

> Kathy Cleland
> www.kathycleland.com

C h r i s t i a n e   R o b b i n s

- J E T Z T Z E I T   S T U D I O S -

... the space between zero and one  ...
Walter Benjamin

LOS ANGELES    I    SAN FRANCISCO

" The present age prefers the sign to the thing signified, the copy to
the original, fancy to reality,
the appearance to the essence
for in these days
  illusion only is sacred, truth profane."
Ludwig Feuerbach, 1804-1872