Hi Nina and Melinda and list,

Re Melinda¹s question: "does work that is scientifically rigorous always
make the best art? And Nina¹s comment about the Œstorytelling¹ role of
artists...

As a curator what draws me to the work of new media artists is the powerful
way art can aesthetically, emotionally, and intellectually explore issues
relating to science and technology. It was while I was writing a Masters
thesis on cyberpunk science fiction in the early 90¹s that I first became
interested in the work of artists working with new technologies and
particularly in the way that art could creatively explore and embody the
aesthetic, social and ethical dimensions of new technologies and give us a
Œfeel¹ for the experience of new and emerging technologies.

In ŒA Cyborg Manifesto¹, Donna Haraway describes science fiction writers as
³storytellers exploring what it means to be embodied in high-tech worlds.²

For me this is clearly a key role of artists, particularly those working
with new technologies.

Art (like literature and film) doesn¹t only intellectually and critically
explore new technologies, it does this by giving audiences an imaginatively
compelling experience of what our high-tech near future scenarios might look
and feel like.

Kathy Cleland
www.kathycleland.com