Oron

Re: Let me pose it quite
bluntly; in the service of WHAT art operates?

big topic

During our recent Art and Darwin conference one of the topics
that came up is whether the 'aesthetic' experience ( which we
can define tautologically as what  person does when confronted
with a work of art) is separable as a neurobiological category
( in the same was a the experience of hunger can be isolated say)=
and within this whether the aesthetic experience with a non human
made object ( a sunset) is neorobiologically different from the
neurobiological response to a human made object - i think the
answer was "perhaps", in the sense that the viewer projects onto human
made objects other types of interpretations that use other parts
of the brain= i dont want to go too far down this road of reductionism
anyway

one of the points that JP Changeux made several times during the
conference is that the brain is not a input-output system , not
an information processing system. rather the brain spends almost
all its time projecting ( telling stories ?) and then when tries to make
sensory data coherent with the projection  ( this is a threatening person/
this is a friendly person etc)= i kind of liked this idea of a brain
basically as a dreaming machine that occasionally has to eat, avoid
danger etc

artefacts are then concretisations of the brains  projections = and artefact
making
is not a unique attribute of humans ( hollis taylor was at the conference
with her work with birds who create elaborate colored artefacts, lestel
talked
about knot tying chimps, )=
these artefacts are stable parts of the world outside the body that help
the brain build coherent predictive stories about the world

i think the utilitarian/non utilitarian argument is a sidetrack= the human
animal has evolved over millions of years , and art making is part of what
has allowed humans to survive- this was changeux's optimistic view

which gets me back to art-science collaborations as part of what we
need to do to change our culture into a sustainable society=  evolutionary
processes will happily select the surviving life forms

then to melinda's post re the curatorship issue of where art-science work
should/can be shown= i very much agree with the strategy you are proposing
of moving this kind of work into public arenas = though its really difficult
(much public art has as little impact as the gallery exhibitions you
mention)
how does one create work that is publically "appropriated" and also has the
type of content/context that artists working with complex scientific topics
(
oron also refers to this issue of how to get to the simple core

oron states: I am currently immersed in an ecological project and one thing
that is become
more and more apparent to me is the immense complexity of dealing with the
issue, any action I postulate raises possibilities of good and harm to
different
aspects of that ecology, and this is without even considering the unknown
unknowns (to quote Rumsfeld). My challenge as an artist is to tell the
stories
of these complexities but not to solve them." yup yup

finally simon- i really like stuart kauffman's latest book " re inventing
the
sacred" but he lost me in the last chapter !

roger