Dear B. A search on Google maps would be useful. If you can give a more precise position of the place, or even a map reference I would be happy to take a closer look, and even perhaps visit the site sometime in the future. Although I live in Tavistock, My daughter lives in Ivybridge so I do get over that way quite often.Could you also let me know if the Local historian has written anything, or would be willing to chat online
Best Wishes Roger.

> Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 13:10:25 +0000
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: More pack animals!
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Interested in your posting regarding pack animal routes, I am a new member
> interested in a local site just off the Kingsbridge to South Brent coaching route.
>
> There are a number of substantial "Devon Bank" boundaries, some being
> parallel, apparently lanes, dividing a wet area, now woodland, which has been
> shown by a local historian to have held a community of about 70 people in 22
> dwellings; early 19th. century. There is one remaining wall reported to be a
> chapel.
>
> My agricultural background would lead me to question why such a sizeable
> community would have existed in such a small unfriendly habitat for crop or
> animal production. A possible explanation would be some small scale possibly
> open-cast extraction, ore or even roadstone. The ready availablity of flowing
> water could be a contributory factor and the existence of very large quartz
> bearing boulders strewn about unrelated to the boundaries deters me from
> accepting "smallholding" activities.
>
> Any suggestions to guide my further investigation welcome.
>
> B. Morton
Add your Gmail and Yahoo! Mail email accounts into Hotmail - it's easy
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/186394592/direct/01/