Dear Members

I am currently researching the history of two early pioneers of European involvement in the tin mining of Malaya - Francis Douglas Osborne and Walter Richard Haighton Chappel. Osborne was an Irishman who arrived in Malaya around 1880 while Chappel was a Cornish mining engineer who arrived around 1890.

They formed a partnership which, with financial backing from Cornish investors, went on to become one of the most successful alluvial tin mining groups in Malaya. The finance came through the help of James Wickett, a partner in the stockbroker firm of Abott & Wickett, based in Redruth, Cornwall.

Any information on the above  would be most useful. In particular I am having difficulty in tracing photographs of the 3 gentlemen and any ideas or suggestions on where I might look for these would be most appreciated.

Michael Joll