  _____

From: A forum for discussion on midwifery and reproductive health research.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Doyle, Mary
Sent: 2009-11-05 16:50
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: National PPH rates

I know its old but the paper by Gill Gyte in MIDIRS 2:1 March 1992 pp. 88-92
gives an interesting critique on the significance of blood loss at delivery.
It is also very soundly discussed in terms of physiology e.g. reticulocyte
counts. She relates blood loss to the physiological alteration in the
cardiovascular system in pregnancy and the need for the body to redress the
balance post birth.  Among some of the questions she poses is that of 'too
little blood loss at delivery'.

just to put another perspective for consideration.

I am not sure where 500mls leaves us as in my experience people will often
put 450mls to not record a PPH in their practice - anecdotal but true.

Mary

  _____