I did my master's thesis research project on comparing immediate postpartum blood loss when pitocin was used versus blood loss with uterine fundal massage: no statistical difference, by the way.

Pertinent to this discussion is the recognition that providers routinely visually underestimate blood loss by as much as half.  Short of actually weighing all blood saturated 4x4s, laps, towels and fluid loss, estimates must be viewed with a high index of suspicion.  The take-home message is that visual estimation can be considered only a gross estimate, and the estimated amount should probably be doubled.

Jo Anne Davis

Jo Anne P. Davis, PhD, CNM
Assistant Professor & Midwifery Tutor
Assistant Department Chair