I recently gave a public lecture in Baltimore commemorating the 50th anniversary of CP Snow's 'Two Cultures' lecture at Cambridge. You may find it interesting, since I cover both historical and contemporary issues regarding to the legitimisation of science in society.

In any case, I do not mean to launch a discussion here. The website has a place for comments, and you are welcome to contact me personally.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVZgNfDQR2A

Yours in discourse

Steve

Steve Fuller
Professor of Sociology
University of Warwick
Coventry CV4 7AL
United Kingdom
Phone +44 2476 523 940
<https://mywebmail.warwick.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/sociology/staff/academicstaff/sfuller/fullers_index/>
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/sociology/staff/academicstaff/sfuller/fullers_index
http://www.warwick.ac.uk/~sysdt/Index.html <http://www.warwick.ac.uk/~sysdt/Index.html>
BLOG: http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/swfuller/ <http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/swfuller/>
NEW BOOK: The Sociology of Intellectual Life -- The Career of the Mind In and Around the Academy (Sage). Save 50% at www.sagepub.co.uk <http://www.sagepub.co.uk/>  quoting promo code UK09AF024.
E-book for US$40: http://www.uk.sagepub.com/booksProdDesc.nav?prodId=Book229759& <https://mywebmail.warwick.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.uk.sagepub.com/booksProdDesc.nav?prodId=Book229759%26>