medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture William J. Purkis, Crusading Spirituality in the Holy Land and Iberia, c.1095-c.1187 (Woodbridge: Boydell Press, 2008) has a little and some notes and suggests that the principal relic was the Holy Land itself. -- Paul Chandler