From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture on behalf of Harriet Sonne
Sent: Thu 05/11/2009 3:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] laser scans of monuments - objects

This is really amazing technology and the potential is exhilarating. Glad to see larger organizations getting involved on a global scale. Thank you for distributing the article from NY times.

I wonder if this has been used by individual historians, on-site, much like a camera  - I would be interested in seeing what it might reveal about baptismal fonts or use on similar fixed, historical objects. I suppose there might be storage - connection issues which would need to be addressed in different regions when working this way. Just wondering if anyone on this list has actually purchased a hand-held scanner and used as part of their research? And if so, what are some of the challenges you have faced? There might even be local opposition, for fear of damage to works.

Harriet.
-------
Dr. H. Sonne de Torrens
Rm. 3130, 905-569-4610
Centre of Visual and Media Communications
Institute of Communications and Culture
University of Toronto Mississauga
3359 Mississauga Road North
Mississauga, Ontario L5L 1C6